Hawley Retainer with no Clasps
Appliance Purpose / Function:
The primary function of the Hawley Retainer with no clasps is to provide retention of the anterior teeth. Retention is provided by a labial 3 x 3 labial bow.
- Acrylic Arch
- Labial bow with adjustment loops anchored in the acrylic arch
- Wire: Chromium Cobalt wire or Stainless-Steel wire
- May be fabricated with facial acrylic
Appliance Fabrication Standards:
- Labial bow is formed from 3 x 3
- The adjustment loops begin just distal to the mid point on the facial of the cuspid
- The loop ends at the interproximal of the cuspid and the 1st bicuspid
- The wire is in intimate contact with the teeth in the interproximal area as it crosses the occlusion
- The palatal wires are formed about 1mm off the tissue to provide clearance for acrylic
- The acrylic is trimmed to conform closely to the teeth including the interproximal areas.