Habit Crib with Rake
Appliance Purpose / Function:
- Bands on the 1st permanent molars
- .040 base arch extending mesial to the middle third of the cuspids
- Habit crib is adapted close to the tissue in the rugae portion of the palate Wire and crib are soldered to the bands
- Wire: Chromium Cobalt wire or Stainless-Steel
- Solder: Silver Solder (Cadmium Free)
- Laser welding (no solder)
- Appliance may be made more aggressive for more persistent habits
Appliance Fabrication Standards:
- The base arch slightly o the tissue
- The base arch touches all the posterior teeth
- The wire placed at the top 1/3 of the band and laying against the band for 4 to 5mm
- The vertical arch 1 to 2mm above the height of the cuspids
- Crib wire is adapted close to the tissue in the rugae portion of the palate with the spikes of the rake bent posterior. Doctor might want them sharp or blunted.
- Check for interference of the rake and apposing arch.
- If you have no lower arch, the base wire extends no further than the mesial 1/3 of the cuspids If you have a lower arch, the crib will be as far forward as possible
If the habit persists, it may be helpful to determine whether the habit is a simple habit or a mechanism to help the child cope with stressful events happening in his or her life.