Graber Looped Habit
Appliance Purpose / Function:
- Bands on the 1st permanent molars
- .040 base arch extending mesial to the middle third of the cuspids
- Habit loops are bent to the tissue in the rugae portion of the palate.
- Soldered to the bands
- Wire: Chromium Cobalt wire or Stainless-Steel
- Solder: Silver Solder (Cadmium Free)
- Laser welding (no solder)
- Appliance may be made more aggressive for more persistent habits
Appliance Fabrication Standards:
- Must come down to lower incisal edge.
- The base arch touches all the posterior teeth
- The wire placed at the top 1/3 of the band and laying against the band for 4 to 5mm
- Confirm no interference between the upper habit appliance and lower arch.
- If you have no lower arch, place loops between the distal to half way of the threes. Keep an eye out for how extreme of an anterior open bit there is. This might affect how you need to make the appliance.
If the habit persists, it may be helpful to determine whether the habit is a simple habit or a mechanism to help the child cope with stressful events happening in his or her life.