Band and Loop Appliance
Appliance Purpose / Function:
The Band and Loop appliance is a unilateral space maintainer that is used to prevent the drifting of adjacent teeth in edentulous areas after extraction or exfoliation. Omega loops can be added for ease in adjustment due to shifting or closure when space permits.
- Band tooth requested according to the prescription
- . 036 wire is bent from the banded tooth to apposing tooth to hold space
- Wire and is soldered to the band
- Wire: Chromium Cobalt or Stainless-Steel wire
- Solder: Silver Solder (Cadmium Free)
- Laser welded (removes the solder)
- Soldered Occlusal rest
Appliance Fabrication Standards:
- Band on a single tooth
- Space maintaining loop bent to opposing tooth to hold space
- May be bent as a reverse appliance when the permanent tooth is not erupted enough for band seating
- Wires should be adapted close to the tissue in endentulous area to avoid creating a food trap.
- Soldered to upper third of the lingual and buccal of the band